An artist's depiction
|Theories|| · Extraterrestrial|
The Kinderhook Blob was a blob-like cryptid reportedly sighted in Kinderhook, New York. During the 1960’s, no fewer than six eyewitnesses claimed to have had encounters with a floating, ghostly, blob-like creature that was so intimidating two armed men fled from it in mortal terror.
The blob-like cryptid was described as a large, ghostly "sheet" that appeared to float above the ground, defying the forces of gravity. One witness described as being bell-shaped, "like the Virgin Mary".
There are several explanations as to what the creature could be. Theories include:
- An undiscovered species (a Cryptid)
- The first report of this creature comes to us from a 10-year old boy by the name of Bruce Hallenbeck, who would record this event years later in 1992, in a book he wrote with Paul Bartholomew, Robert Bartholomew and William Brann titled: “Monsters of the Northwoods.”According to Hallenbeck, he and his cousin were frolicking in the woods behind his parent’s house, when they both saw something they would never forget:
- The children looked in the direction of the strange sound and were shocked to see what he later described as “a white object peering at me from behind a nearby pine tree.”
- Hallenbeck would clarify that statement: “I say ‘peering,’ but in fact it had no eyes that I could see.” Wisely choosing caution over curiosity, the frightened cousins beat a hasty retreat back to Hallenbeck’s parent’s home.
- Following the childrens’ encounter, this evolutionary enigma would maintain a low profile for two years until 1964. On the evening in question, an unnamed man was taking a leisurely hike through the woods when he saw what he later described as a “big white blob” gliding down the hill toward him.