An artist's depiction
The Rhinoceros Dolphin is an unknown cetacean reported from the North Pacific Ocean.
The creature is described as a large dolphin, approximately 10 feet in length. Its main distinctive feature is its two dorsal fins.
There are several explanations as to what the creature could be. Theories include:
- An undiscovered species (a Cryptid)
- Naturalists Quoy and Gaimard observed a school of dolphins with two dorsal fins in the North Pacific, possibly in the neighborhood of Palmyra Atoll, in October 1819. They did not get a good look at the animal's heads, which were under water.
- In April 1856, one or two dolphins with two dorsal fins were seen in a school of Common dolphins (Delphinus delphus) in Lantivet Bay, Cornwall, England.
- The rhinoceros dolphin has been given two different scientific names:
- Delphinus rhinoceros, given by J. R. C. Quoy and J. P. Gaimard in 1824
- Cetodipteros rhinoceros, given by Michel Raynal in 1991
|Antarctic Godzilla · Bermuda Beast · Kabagon · Ningen · Qupqugiaq · Rhinoceros Dolphin · Sky Jellyfish · Sky Serpents|
|Miscellaneous Alien Sightings|
|4chan Grey Alien · Martian Sasquatch|
|Miscellaneous UFO Sightings|
|Black Knight Satellite · Foo Fighters|
|Aging Doll · Angel Hair · Bloop · Bottomless Pits · Cameraheads · Eerie Silence Phenomenon · Glitches in Reality · Panic in the Woods · Ringing Stones · Skyquakes · Smoke Ring · Solar Plexus Clown Gliders · Star Jelly · The Third Man · UVB-76 (The Buzzer)|
|Black Eyed Children · Black Stick Men · Demolition Elves · Dopplegangers · Flying Humanoid · Operators · Shadow People · Time Travelers|
|Disappearance of Amy Bradley · Roberto Ferreira Nobrega time travel claims|